Campus Buzz

Education Department: Lecturers to be promoted as principals

August 02, 2018 11:29 AM

Punjab News Express/Y.S. RANA
CHANDIGARH: With the finalization of seniority list of lecturers, the door is open for promotion to the post of principals fall under promotion quota will be filled up soon as per the recruitment rules.
The official of the education department reveals that there are 37 sanctioned posts of principal. Of these, 25 principals are working as officiating heads. It is also stated that regular promotion of lecturers to the post of principals were not made in absence of final seniority list.
He further stated that as per recruitment rules, 75 per cent promotion were made from lecturers and headmasters having at least 10 years of service in the ratio of 10:1. Remaining 25 per cent promotion were done by direct/deputations.
In 2006, final seniority list of lecturers was issued and placed on records in a court case. The action of the department was challenged before the Central Administrative Tribunal, Chandigarh Bench. The CAT issued directions to prepare a fresh seniority list.
In compliance with the directions of the CAT, draft seniority lists were issued in 2011, 2015, January 2016 and July 2016. Accordingly, the department reexamined the matter in its totality in the light of standard principles of seniority in respect of cadre having more than one feeder cadre. Lecturers who submitted their objections were heard by the Director School Education (DSE) and the education secretary keeping in view the relevant instructions and rules. The seniority list of lecturers (school cadre) has been finalized as on July 2016 and circulated on July 31, 2018 that opens the door for promotion of principals.

Have something to say? Post your comment